Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Games and Gaming #38

I played Centipede on ArcadeRetro.com, or at least I tried to. I tried playing twice; but while I was playing, when I accidentally slid the mouse out of the game window, the game shut off with this warning that I might have been cheating to get a high score, or my firewall settings were too high. I don't think I was doing anything that would be considered cheating. It was fun, though, while I got to play, I used to play this in arcades as a kid.

As a child I had an Atari, but not Centipede. Then, I had the first Nintendo system, but only had 3 games with this one; then, I pretty much stopped playing video games all together. Every once in while I might spend a few minutes trying to play something, but for some reason I just don't get into them the way I did when I was younger.

As far as game consoles best for the library, I'm not really sure. I don't know what games are available for the different systems or which system is better. I kind of like the Wii only because it allows for some movement while playing some of the games. I think promoting physical activity as well as playing the games was a good move by Nintendo. Whether any brings in kids who will also check out books really depends on the kid. I think some are coming in just to play the games, but a few will hang around and check out books as well. Perhaps time will tell.

No comments: